Death & Burial
Losing a loved one is never easy, but Ohev Shalom’s caring community of members and staff will help you through this difficult time. Although death and funeral arrangements are sensitive topics that most individuals and families rarely speak of until the need arises, our Rabbi encourages you to discuss these issues ahead of time, and is happy to help facilitate the necessary conversations.
Our congregation is one of the few synagogues in the area, and the only one in Delaware County, that has its own cemetery – the Ohev Shalom Cemetery in Brookhaven. Additionally, we control a section of the Mt. Lebanon Cemetery in Collingdale, PA. If you need to arrange a funeral, please follow these steps:
- Call Rabbi Gerber at the synagogue office at 610-874-1465.
- Call Goldstein’s Funeral Directors, Inc. at 215-927-5800. We encourage members to use Goldstein’s – they will assist you with all arrangements. If you choose to use another funeral director, please tell them to contact the synagogue office.
- Call Cemetery Chairman Stanton Myerson at 610-291-0747 to discuss grave sites at either Ohev Shalom Cemetery or Mt. Lebanon Cemetery.
- Stanton or our Executive Director can also help you choose a grave marker and monument; Ohev members are encouraged to use Ohev Shalom Monuments for their sites. If you choose another monument company, please be aware that all inscriptions on the stone must be approved by Ohev’s Rabbi. In addition, the monument company must contact either the Cemetery Chairperson or the synagogue office for cemetery fees and regulations.
- Call Ohev’s Executive Director, to order a Yahrzeit Memorial plaque. When you order a plaque, you will automatically be notified of the Yahrzeit (annual memorial) date; if you do not order a plaque but would like to be notified of the date, please let the office know.